Is Flossing Necessary?
The Ontario Dental Association has responded to several Canadian news reports about a U.S. story questioning the efficacy of flossing, citing the lack of evidence supporting the practice. The story was initially published by the Associated Press and has been carried by media sources across Canada. Here is what you need to know.
- This is a national issue that requires a unified approach across the profession. We are working with our partners – provincial dental associations and the Canadian Dental Association (CDA) – in responding to this. Dr. Larry Levin, ODA Past-President and President-Elect of the Canadian Dental Association appeared on CTV and CBC and other outlets.
- The CDA issued a statement on August 2:The Canadian Dental Association supports flossing as one step of maintaining healthy teeth and gums. Flossing is an effective preventative measure to remove plaque, the main cause of gum disease. The weakness of the evidence supporting the value of floss in the prevention of gum disease is a reflection of the difficulty of conducting the necessary studies, not of the value of flossing for the maintenance of good oral health. Brushing, flossing, eating a healthy diet, and seeing your dentist regularly are all steps in preserving a healthy mouth.
- The American Dental Association has also issued a statement in support of interdental cleaners and regular dental visits.
- Here are some key messages for patients:
- Cleaning between your teeth removes plaque from areas your toothbrush can’t reach. Plaque build-up contributes to tooth decay and gum disease.
- Let’s talk about what types of dental-care products will be most effective for your individual needs and the proper techniques for each.
- Cleaning between your teeth is just one part of a maintaining good oral health, along with brushing twice a day, eating a nutritious diet and seeing your dentist regularly.
The information described above is an ODA news Flash that our office has received and feel that it is important to share with our patients.
Westmount Dental offers appointments throughout the week including evenings, Saturdays and Sundays (by appointment as days and times vary). We always welcome new patients, emergencies and offer free consultations. And we rely on your referrals for our growth.
Our dentists provide a full range of treatment all under one roof to minimize the need for outside referrals. Some of the treatment we provide includes the full service and placement of dental implants, root canal therapy, wisdom tooth surgery, sedation, Invisalign orthodontics, and cosmetic treatments. Most importantly, our preventive dental care program aims to reduce the risk of you and your family requiring more invasive and costly treatment.
Westmount Dental is located in the heart of Thornhill in Vaughan. Call today to schedule your appointment. 905-881-8284