Clinical research has found …
- Oral health problems are linked to general health conditions including obesity, diabetes, bacterial pneumonia, pre-term and low birth-weight babies, osteoporosis, bone/tooth loss, stroke and heart disease.
- People who keep their teeth live an average of 10 years longer than people who lose them.
- Clean teeth can help prevent heart attacks! Researchers have found that the most common strain of bacteria in dental plaque can cause blood clots when they escape into the bloodstream.
- Parents with healthy teeth have children with healthy teeth. And it’s not genetics! Good oral hygiene habits pass from parents to their kids. So do them a favour – teach them to brush and floss, and take them to the dentist regularly.
- When applying sunscreen, don’t forget your lips. Use a lip balm that contains protection against UVA and UVB rays.
- Remeber to replace your toothbrush every 4-6 months. Toothbrushes should also be discarded when the bristles look worn and bent or after a severe flu.
- The causes of bad breath (“halitosis”) are vast and varied and they include
– sinus or respiratory tract infection– gastric reflux or other gastrointestinal infections such as with H. pylori which produces sulphur– foods such as onions, garlic– tobacco– poor oral hygiene including plaque buildup, decay, insufficient brushing of the tongue,– periodontal disease– medical conditions and medications that had the effects of reducing salivary flow lead to dry mouth. Examples include liver and kidney diseases, antidepressants, antihistamines, and codeine.
Preventive Dentistry can help you maintain your smile and your health.
Our office is conveniently located in the heart of Thornhill in Vaughan. In an effort to make dental care easy and convenient for all of our patients, we provide a complete range of specialized treatments, all under one roof. From paediatric dentistry to orthodontics, dental implants and preventive treatments, we minimize the need for outside referrals. Our office offers appointments throughout the week including evenings, Saturdays and Sundays. Call us today to schedule a free consultation or if you have a dental emergency.