If you thought that you were too old to visit the dentist then you’re mistaken. This blog will review some helpful tips so that you can maintain optimal dental health for many years to come.
Regularly scheduled cleanings, oral examinations and preventive care are the foundation to reducing the risk of losing teeth with age. There is no doubt that having healthy teeth and oral tissues is important at any stage in one’s life, why should it be any different during the golden years?
Generally, denture wearers are not as happy with their false, removable plastic teeth when compared to natural teeth. So why not take the necessary steps now in order to be able to chew comfortably and maintain proper nutrition.
There is growing evidence linking gum disease with medical conditions including heart disease, stroke and respiratory problems. Unfortunately, patients who are older are not only more susceptible to these medical conditions but these conditions are also more prevalent later in life.
Treatment at Westmount Dental is always tailored to the unique needs of each of our patients. For instance, if a patient has dental implants, crowns or bridges then they will require additional periodontal treatment with our Certified Hygienists.
Periodontal Treatment in our office is more than “just a cleaning”.
- It’s an opportunity to be screened for cancer and get assessed for dental diseases with our low-dose radiation digital x-rays.
- It’s periodontal therapy – the most non-invasive way to remove oral bacteria and stay healthy.
- Left untreated, gum disease leads to tooth loss and adversely impacts your health.
- It’s an occasion for you to have a positive experience and for us to change your perceptions of dental care.
- It’s a cancer screening to assess your mouth for signs of oral cancer and, if indicated, perform biopsies. Regardless of age, this is one of the most important features of a routine dental examination.
- It’s fluoride treatment to lower the risk of tooth decay, strengthen teeth, kill bacteria and reduce tooth hypersensitivity.
- It’s a conversation with our Doctors and Hygienists to discuss your treatment goals and provide you with the information you need to make a well-informed and balanced decision.
At Westmount Dental the Doctors and Hygienists do not underestimate its value, and neither should you.
Always update your medical history with our team of Hygienists and Doctors. Please inform us of any changes to medications (prescription, natural and over-the-counter), allergies, medical conditions and recent surgeries you’ve had. Since the mouth is connected to the rest of your body, medications you are taking and conditions you are being treated for can be influenced by the dental care you may require. Our goal is to avoid any possible negative interactions while ensuring that the proper precautions have been taken prior to your dental care.
Common concerns we encounter include:
- tooth sensitivity
- dry mouth
- dental decay
- discoloured teeth
- gum disease
- poor retention of dentures
- reduced function due to missing teeth
- bone loss and increased mobility of teeth
Our office offers appointments throughout the week including evenings, Saturdays and Sundays. We always welcome ne patients, emergencies and offer free consultations. And we rely on your referrals for our growth.
Our dentists provide a full range of treatment including dental implants, root canal therapy, wisdom tooth surgery, sedation, invisalign orthodontics, and cosmetic treatments. most importantly, our preventive dental care program aims to reduce the risk of you and your family requiring more invasive and costly treatment.
Our office is located in the heart of Thornhill in Vaughan. Call today to schedule your appointment.